Very Good Quote

"Your assumptions are your windows to the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or light won't come in."

Wednesday 1 April 2020

Ghana 51 Lock Down Day 3

April the 1st and I've gotten permission to go back to work.  Is this a joke ? Well actually no. The Mayor of Tema gives dispensation to several strategic companies and projects to carry on. Ours being one of them.  I'm pleased in one way as I did not want to get stuck indoors but also slightly (read highly) anxious about being out and about when not strictly necessary. We jumped in Ghana from 152 cases to 161 today including 5 deaths. Not many in the scheme of things but still a statistic we don't need.

I am working on a port project so you could argue that 50% of my work space perimeter is the sea so my risk drops by 50%   ?????   Does that make any sense.  Not really. Even as I write it, it sounds a bit crazy...... I can only assume..... Or pray.

I've got to take this time in the next few days as an opportunity. Seize the moment as it were.  Its a chance for me to catch up with work and focus on how we move forward in a week or 2 from now when things get more back to normal.  Or as normal as they will be.  Do you think things will return to how they were? I somehow doubt it. We are going to see some new habits, different work practices and socializing will be considerably reduced. That's my take on it.

I'm taking a few photos more to show how empty everything is. Markets have all be sprayed and people only venturing out on an as required basis.  Street vendors gone. Do hope we avoid social unrest.  Any sign of that and I am locking myself away. Photos of our construction site,  offices and surrounding areas.  Note:-  no one in sight !!!

Right so my driver picked me up at 7.00 this morning.  He got to my place by motorbike. Was not stopped.  We drove to work. Streets almost empty. Drive is normally 45 mins today easy 30 mins. At the motorway toll only 2 of 8 ticket booths open. And no holdup.....  Some police around all assisted by army.  My driver did observe the army guys were carrying guns "and why would they need those ?" was his question... I refrained from answering. Enough to concern me without AK47's added into the mix.



Well work... Place is deserted. Few guards on the main gate. Temperature check was made. Mine showed 31.2 degrees.  At that I should have been dead ,  far too cold..... So maybe the batteries are not working or sensor s not calibrated or  or ....... Just checked google.  I have or an showing signs of hypothermia apparently !!!!!!  Whatever the reason another cause for concern as it is clearly a perfunctory test for show.....

The office . Well only two expats are in.  Rest staying home till Monday when we get things back up and running. Good side.  It gives me time to write this 😊

More tomorrow.



No comments: