Very Good Quote

"Your assumptions are your windows to the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or light won't come in."

Thursday 12 February 2009

Temples and Monks

Did he just move? We recently went up with friends to Chang Mai. Beautiful place. It could be the subject for several Blog entries but… While thats for later. While there we visited several Wats. As one does in Thailand. Nearly all are so elaborate and generally quite magnificent. Each has its own atmosphere and sense of purpose.
Going into the compounds and the temples themselves seems to surround me with a feeling of calm and somehow an added feeling that life has a lot more to offer on the spiritual side than I am normally aware of.
Imagine my surprise when I set off to do some photos and video because as I entered one small annexed building I was scrambelling around for a few moments unaware there was a Monk sitting calmly in front of me. He looked directly at me without any movement, just continued his meditations. I felt really stupid and rude, almost as if I had entered like a thief into someones home. So immedieately I bowed to him to show respect. And then in as polite a fashion as one can when setting up a tripod and camera, got on with taking a few shots. Still he didn’t seem to mind and remained still. Did I interupt him or was he go engrossed in his prayers that he simple ignored me. But really did he move? Just slightly? A blink perhaps? Amazing composure. Check out the video below.


If you watched the movie you can imagine how stupid I felt when I realised exactly what he was doing. And this after my being on hands and knees and shuffling around for about 30 minutes…Fooled me and no doubt, a lot of other visitors.

No comments: