Very Good Quote

"Your assumptions are your windows to the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or light won't come in."

Thursday 21 February 2019

Ghana 46 Railways and no trains

When I first came to Ghana the local railway Accra to Tema route passed within about 20 meters of my office. Noisy I hear you thinking. Well yes, for the two trips a day which occurred once with an Accra to Tema run at 6.35am and a return run from Tema to Accra at around 3.15pm. Single small gauge rail.  The train and carriages. Well it was a 3 carriage affair with a noisy smoke laddened diesel engine unit.  Normally I counted between 10-15 customers. Open doors etc etc.  I had added to my Ghana bucket list a trip on this route.  However as is usual with these things I should be done ASAP. Grasp the moment as it were. So time passed. About 3 months after me arriving in Ghana the trains stopped running.  The train not trains I should say, as they only had the one... and yes it had fallen off the rails. Literally..... That was over 12 months ago and only now do we see the service engine running around with no carriages. So no passengers.

The rail track remains very silent, and now we see the odd engine shunting by. Hopefully before I leave the train service will be back in full swing. I wait with baited breath !








No comments: