Very Good Quote

"Your assumptions are your windows to the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or light won't come in."

Saturday 9 September 2017

Ghana 11 Art and Craft Market

Well time is flying by.  Only got till end of October when my contract is up. I need to see what I can of Ghana before departing. Talking to the guys in the office there is a lot of see and do.  Accra has a reputation for being the liveliest city for nightlife in Africa.  I can believe it for when you walk round even in the day time, here is a sense of music and rhythm everywhere. On the way to work we pass several beach side night clubs which are still thumping out music as I'm going to work.  And that is at 5.30am!!!!!

So putting aside the night life as I could not party all night and then go to work I decide to list out a lot of to dos. List to follow, which I plan to "tick off" over the coming few weekends.

But for today Saturday I decided to leave work early and visit the Arts and Crafts centre. Plan was to have a quick walk about and buy myself an African drum... Well I achieved both.


The Art and Craft centre is a sad place, very dusty and lacking in customers. So a sort of very dilapidated and subdued place. That as you can imagine encourages everyone to come and talk to you and ask "Hey Brother from another Mother"   And yes they do say that !!!!! Corny or what ?
'
Then comes the sales pitch with "where you from"...... "lovely country etc etc".  "Followed by please visit my stall. Me I'm a painter/Musician/Tailor/Craftsman/Carver of wood/jeweler"  fill in the blanks and they have the same speak.

Its good and bad.  Good as they are keen but bad. Good as they are after business, bad as they need to learn new lines and get a bit more real.  Its very noticeable there are only the few (I spotted 3 white/tourist persons ) in the whole place.  And nothing is priced....  My poor driver is between a  rock and a hard place.  If he helps me I'm happy but if he does then his "Brothers from the same Mother" ride him hard.......  Corny expression for sure.  And they have already got me using it here twice !!!!!!

One of the photos shows a couple of people carrying clothing on their heads.  I think this is for local purchase. Sort of mobile cloths shop.....

There is also an advert for Tattoos but I decided to give that a miss...

Anyway that's one place I've got off my to do list.......







The Drum



No comments: