A wise man once said....

"When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen you may learn something new." Dalai Lama

Saturday, 23 April 2011

Busy Few Days Museums And Races

Its the Easter weekend and the work is closed down for Friday through Tuesday inclusive. What to do? Wanna is arriving on Saturday evening but between Thursday evening and then Bob and I decided to follow up on a few things. We both had concluded we had some work to complete and that's best done in the quiet of an empty office so that took care of a lot of our time. Then we visited the local Maritime Museum which turned out to be a lot better than we had expected. I had envisages a dusty old shed complete with a few 'old salts' who would bash on about the good old days. But no. it was run by, yes 'old salts' but they did not bash on, but covered some interesting stuff with a lot of local interest and knowledge. Us coming here to work also provided them with some questions for us as well. Good two way stuff. The LNG terminal we are building had received a mixed reception here in Gladstone. Some think it is a potentially dangerous industry and others worry about the short and longer term changes it is bringing to the community. Long term is probably OK but short term influx of workers maybe not such a good sight!!!! But all then discussion was good natured and for us a chance to meet and chat with locals. Lots of stuff including boats, flags, memorabellia and model boats. One chap was busy making them. My photos do not do justice to the place. I do need to go back again.

Easter Weekend in Gladstone is famous for its Festival. Music, dancing, eating, and of course bumper cars, ghost rides etc. Highlight being fire work displays and a parade. ( I covered this in my last Blog. I had a quick look round one evening but decided to wait till Wanna arrived and enjopy it with her.

Apart from that we, Bob and I, managed to get in our shopping. Not so easy over this weekend as everywhere wanted to close for Easter!!! That said we managed and followed it up by going to the Gladstone horse racing. We watched a couple of races. (No camera!!!). I lot my money on 2 straight races. The favourite did not do well enough. There is always next time.

Anyway that was than and so Saturday afternoon arrived and I went to meet Wanna at the airport.
Post a Comment