Very Good Quote

"Your assumptions are your windows to the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or light won't come in."

Tuesday 7 July 2009

Buddhist Lent

Buddhist Lent starts today. It is a solemn occasion with most Thai visiting their home Wat, (Temple) and making their vows to follow the precepts of Buddha. For our part, I was told by Wanna last night, that she is off to the Wat at 6.30am this morning to 'Make Merit". Me, I'm off to work as usual.
The Wats are all decked out for the occasion with bright coloured cloths and candles etc. And the shops geared up to sell the candles and various orange coloured plastic buckets full of offerings of assorted foods for the monks. So on the way to work I had expected to see more people around and maybe a lot more monks walking the roads. Not so. If anything it was quiet, quieter than usual, and the roads almost empty. The start of the Buddha Lent bonus for me was, I got to work early. Is this really a bonus?....
I had also remembered, (unlike last weekends trip to Viet Nam) to have my camera open in the car just in case something special passed me by. Nothing... I was so busy with the quick trip to work that I probably missed everything..
So I had a quick look on the Internet to see what was being said about the Lent, and found a useful link on the whole topic.

The Buddhist Lent, which starts on the first day of the waning moon of the eighth lunar month. The tradition of Buddhist Lent or the annual three-month Rains Retreat known in Thai as "Phansa" dates back to the time of ....... full text Buddhist Lent

Worth the read.
Photos source (huffingtonpost)

No comments: